Here is a collection of leasing articles by Vinod Kothari.These articles have been written over years and published in different media.In order to make them of generic interest, as also to update them, these articles have been revised and updated especially for the Net. In their current form, they are of generic interest to visitors from any country.
- Another detailed article on accounting under the new standard AS 19: This article by Vinod Kothari discusses in details the requirements of the new accounting standard with hints as to characterisation of leases as operating leases.
- Accounting for Leases: AS 19 in India: This article by Vinod Kothari discusses the salient features of accounting standard no. 19 on lease accounting.
- Recent problems of Indian leasing in wake of accounting standards, etc.:This article by Vinod Kothari discusses the uncertain future of the Indian leasing industry in view of the recent proposal by the Institute of Chartered Accountants to revise accounting standard for leases.
- Computer leasing is good business, but…:This article gives you all that you wanted to know about how to benefit from the recent depreciation rate hike for computers, opportunities, risks and protection measures. Click here for full text of the article.
- Evaluating your leasing company: Key ratios to measure performance and standing:This article gives a listing of important ratios that measure the performance, quality and strength of a leasing company. An excellent guide to a strategic manager, investor, acquirer etc. Click here for full text of the article.
- Indian Leasing: Thriving amidst nagging taxation infirmities:This article is properly captioned an overview of Indian leasing. It very succinctly captures the present position, competition, foreign entry, tax benefits, sales-tax problems, etc. of Indian leasing. A very concise yet comprehensive document on Indian leasing. Click here for full text of the article.
Another page on the current position of Indian leasing, commemorating 25 years of Indian leasing.
Page on Evolution of leasing in India.
The article was published in Equipment Finance Journal, USA.
- True lease: the Basis of a Lessor’s legal rights: This article stresses on the technical differences between lease and plain financing transactions based on the risks and rewards on the asset the lessor takes. If the transaction has no concern with the asset at all, it partakes the character of a financial transaction from legal and taxation viewpoint. This is true in case of hire-purchase transactions also. Author stresses on the legal and commercial need to distinguish leases from financing transactions. Click here for full text of the article.
This article was published in Fin-n-Lease, Newsletter of the Association of Leasing and Financial Services Cos., India.
- Why Proposed Changes in IAS-17 should be reviewed before implementation: Based on a study by McGregor of Australia, the International Accounting Standards Committee recently mooted a proposal to amend the international accounting standard on Lease Accounting, IAS-17. It issued an Exposure Draft of the proposed standard. The article critically examines the proposals and recommends that the proposals of McGregor require a thorough re-examination. Plus, it contains a review of the existing difficulties in IAS-17. Click here for full text of the article.
This article was published in Monitor, USA.
- India: A clean market for Cross-border Leases: This article is focused on the information needs of cross-border lessors wanting to do in-bound leases in India. The article discusses the regulatory framework, common law issues, taxation issues, etc. All that a cross-border lessor looking at India would expect to know. Click here for full text of the article.
The article was published in Monitor, USA.
Articles by Steven Gilyeart
Steven Gilyeart is an internationally acclaimed legal expert on leasing and provides consulting on leasing to firms and governments World over. Click here to read a profile of Steven Gilyeart.
Steven Gilyeart maintains a web site called The International Leasing Resource which is a wonderful storehouse of information on leasing.
- Repossession of Leased Assets: An International Perspective:In this highly informative article, the author outlines various legal considerations in repossession of assets, with or without judicial intervention, arbitral references, and educates on the need to tone up legal systems to perfect the repossession machinery. Click here for full text of the article.
- E-commerce: what it holds for leasing companies: The trend towards leasing companies offering services through the internet is growing very fast. Steven Gilyeart in this article examines implications of this trend and advises companies to prepare for the e-commerce revolution.
Articles by Richard Contino
Richard Contino, author of several books on leasing, is a practising attorney based in New York, and is considered an expert on laws and documentation on leasing. Click here to read a profile of Richard Contino.
- All about leveraged leasing:The concept of leveraged leasing, essentially leasing with other people’s money, is enticing and complicated. This article explains the nitty-gritty of leveraged leasing.
Articles by David Holmgren
David Holmgren is Senior Financial Analyst with Ivory Consulting Corporation, USA. Click here to read a profile of David Holmgren.
- Classification of leases for accounting and tax purposes: Classification of leases as financial and operating leases for accounting and tax purposes is a complex and controversial issue. Harmony in tax and accounting principles is missing in most countries, leading to a dual classification. The author dwells upon the dilemma and develops a model to resolve it.
Articles by Barry S. Marks
Barry S. Marks is a Birmingham-based leasing lawyer, shareholder of the firm Berkowitz, Lefkovits, Isom & Kushner, Professional Corporation. Click here to read a profile of Barry Marks.
- Lessor’s guide to lease documentation: This article gives a clause-by-clause guide to documenting a lease agreement. Obviously, a careful document is the foundation of strong credit. A must read for all lessors.
Articles by IMF Research Team
These articles written by various scholars from the IMF team have usually been carried in the Finance and Development publication of the IMF and have been reproduced with permission of the IMF.
- Financial crisis in emerging markets:This article by the Research Department of IMF gives you a thorough insight into the crisis that rocked emerging markets and lessons to be learnt therefrom.
Articles by Saima Shah
Saima Shah, MBA works for the National Development Leasing Company of Pakistan and is a prolific writer on issues of contemporary concern.
- Leasing in Pakistan: A holistic view:This article deals with the status of leasing in Pakistan especially with reference to its role in promoting investment, and takes a look at the hallmark of economic efficiency of the industry.
Articles by Terry J Winders
Terry Winders, a 30-year veteran leasing professional, runs his own training and consulting company on leasing in USA, and has been very active for conducting training courses for the Equipment Leasing Association. Mr. Winders has also written books on leasing.
Articles by McKinsey’s
McKinsey and Company is one the most influential management consulting firms in the World. Based in USA, it has offices virtually in every part of the World. The following article written by its Research Team has been reproduced with permission from the company.
- Bank mergers – analysis of motivation, economies and trends:The past few years have marked a spate of mergers in banking and financial services. This insightful article by McKinsey’s analyses what are the motivations behind this forceful trend, searches the evidence of economies of scale in concluded mergers, and star-gazes the likely trends. “The industry might take the model of the airlines industry”, concludes the article. A must reading for all finance professionals.
Articles by Derek Bloom
Derek Bloom is a practising lawyer with the Moscow office of Coudert Brothers. His article contains a link to the website of Coudert Brothers as also the e-mail id of Derek Bloom.
Articles by various authors
- Power of the Collateral – understanding the significance of asset security:This article by Heywood Fleisig examines the practices in creating, perfecting and enforcing security interests in movable properties and the legal difficulties created by inefficiencies of the system. The article comes up with suggestions on a favourable legal mechanism for enforcing security interests.
- Moody’s on off-balance sheet leases: off-balance-sheet treatment to leases has been in the thick of controversy ever since G4+1 countries initiated debate on accounting for operating leases. Moody’s, the renowned rating agency, also does not like off-balance-sheet treatment for leases – see how, in this article. The article is in PDF format and you would need to instal Acrobat Reader before being able to read it.