Vinod Kothari Consultants
Academy of Financial Services P Ltd
World's leading financial training providers
A presentation on our training capabilities and experience
Public and private workshops, residential training courses
Academy of Financial
Services P Ltd.
Vinod Kothari Consultants P
|Basic courses in Finance,
Advanced courses on commercial lending, credit, risk management,
derivatives, Basel II, and more
||Courses on structured finance, securitization,
credit derivatives, asset backed financing, credit risk management,
housing finance, accounting for financial instruments
Looking for soft
See our courses here
Courses on Communications skills, Group Dynamics,
Body Language, Behavioral functions, leadership & motivation etc.
our past courses 2007-2010:
[Recent courses are listed here. Old courses, 2002-2006 are listed here.]
School: Most comprehensive, yet most competitively priced
Against the backdrop of several successful runs, we introduce
Securitisation School as a regular feature - a 7 day training stint
(with one day break in between). This is the most comprehensive securitisation
training offered anywhere (if you know of any other such program,
we would be happy to stand corrected!). The week-long program is packed
with activity :a typical day starts at 9.30 am with tuitions followed
by assignments and practicals, and we allow you to interact with participants
from all over the World who bring their own experiences.
All our events in the past have had participants from different
markets - USA, UK, Germany, East Europe, Middle East, Far East, India,
and so on.
We provide accommodation in a 5-star hotel for 8 nights, one person
one room basis - the cost of the accommodation (except dinner) is
included in the package.
And yet, the entire package comes at an amazingly cheap price
: only USD 2750 per person. Our competitors charge, for a 2-day course
titled Structured Finance School, USD 7500 - we charge 1/3rd that
amount,for thrice as much duration. In addition,
we have broken the course into 3 modules of 2 days each - so you may
attend any one or more module and skip the rest:
- Securitisation and Synthetic CDOs: Structures
- Modelling and Structuring of Securitisation
- this is a fully practical hands-on modeling course
- Law, Tax, Accounting and Regulatory Issues
What enables us to price it at such rates? Several factors - one,
there are no event producers making money here, we take advantage
of a very tightly priced hotel package and pass it on to you, and
finally, being at our home town, we are happy with a lower intake!
Click here for details
Register now before it is late -
the number of participant will be restricted. Participants may pay
by international remittance or by credit card. Check with us for the
best method to make remittance.
Our experience and accomplishment as securitisation and
structured finance trainer world-over is difficult to match.
Over the last 20 years, we have conducted at least 500 workshops and
would have addressed scores of industry events and conferences. We would
have trained at least 10000 executives at all levels in some 20 countries
World-over. See our training presentation here. In terms of variety of audience, we handled both public
and private groups. From investors and asset managers to Australia, to
rating agency in Malaysia, to a leading law firm in India, to income-tax
department in South Africa, to students in several academic institutions,
we have handled different groups and different situations.
We have so far got "excellent" ratings from majority of our
course participants. Feedback summaries from some of our events may
be found on this page.
We have a special place as a training organisation:
First, we are independent. If you call law firms or
accounting firms or investment bankers to run a training course, they
are greatly conditioned by what and how they are doing it, while we
may be completely independent.
- Secondly, instead of typical multi-speaker events, our training events
are mostly handled by a single faculty. This provides consistency and
completeness and avoids conflicts and overlaps, making the most of your
- Third, most of our events are very comprehensive - covering different
aspects of a subject.
- Fourth, our communication is very simple and we make sure that the
least common multiple in our attendees comprehends what is being talked
Not surprisingly, therefore, we are forerunners in training on specialised
subjects in structured finance.
In financial services, we facilitate training courses on a variety of topics - see our course outlines listed on this page and on this page.
is one of those
securitization specialists who can combine knowledge of several disciplines
- from cash flow modelling to legal, tax and accounting issues - to give a
good comprehensive and cohesive understanding of securitization”.- Frank
Fabozzi, leading authority on financial services
“I am very impressed by Vinod Kothari's passion for
the art of securitization and his knowledge from so many varying
perspectives is truly worth tapping into”.- Martin Rosenblatt,
International securitization accounting expert and partner, Deloitte &
- Basel III
- Basel II and Basle III - complete understanding of the liquidity risk standards, additional features of Basel III, implementation of Basel III, moving from Basel II to Basel III. The most topical couse as the world moves to Basel III in less than 3 years.
- Securitisation: The Financial Instrument of the New Millennium:
2 -days or 3 days, covering a broad spectrum of issues including
motivations, legal issues, financial structure and cost of securitisation,
accounting and taxation, regulatory capital.
- Cashflow modelling for securitisation - 2 -days or 3 days,
covering practical cashflow modelling for securitisation transactions,
starting from simple class room models to models for real life transactions
- Investing in Asset backed Securities - 2- days course structured
specially from investors' viewpoint.
- Legal tax and accounting issues in securitisation - A course
dedicated to legal, true sale, documentation, accounting, taxation
and regulatory capital related issues.
- We combine these in longer courses such as Securitisation School
or Securitisation Masterclass.
- Credit derivatives: The world of commoditisation of credit:
2 -days covering broad spectrum of issues on credit derivatives
including types, economics, strategic issues, legal, tax and accounting
issues, capital rules and economic capital, pricing of credit derivatives
- Exotic credit derivatives A 1-day presentation on the latest
developments in credit derivatives; we take account of what is making
waves in the marketplace.
- Investing in credit linked notes - A one-day/2 days' course
structured specially from viewpoint of investors.
- We will club these outlines in Credit Derivatives Masterclass
which may run for 3 days/ 4 days duration.
and mitigation of credit risk
- Quantitative approaches to pricing of a credit risk ::
2 -days covering Excel-based practical training on credit risk pricing
- covers Merton and Merton-based models, intensity based pricing,
portfolio risk pricing, correlation and simulations to price portfolio
risk, economic capital computation..
debt obligations (CDOs)
- The World of CDOs: : 2 -days covering at length the CDO
world - including full array of CDO field; balance sheet and arbitrage
deals, synthetic and cash deals, managed and static deals. Motivations,
functioning, with case studies.
- Synthetic CDOs: A 2-day course that will focus on synthetic
CDOs and cover lots of case studies of real life transactions. Includes
fair exposure to credit derivatives as well.
- Investing in CDOs - A 2-day course designed specially from
- We will club these outlines into a CDO Masterclass which
may be a 3-day course.
and off-balance sheet financing
- Asset Finance and Leasing - This 2-days/ 3 days course
covers basics of leasing, financial and operating leases, legal
and tax issues on leasing, tax benefits of leasing, pricing, accounting,
- Operating Leasing workshop: This 2 days' workshop covers
operating leasing in fine details, including pricing, residual risk
mitigation, accounting, taxation, etc.
- Leasing: Legal, tax and accounting issues: This 2-day event
focuses on tax, legal and accounting issues for financial and operating
for financial instruments
- Accounting for Financial Instruments [IAS 39/ FAS 133] This
2-days event covers accounting for financial instruments, derivatives,
embedded derivatives and the hedging rules of IAS 39/ FAS 133 with
lots of examples and workings. May be extended to 3 days to allow
- Affordable housing finance
- Techniques of affordable housing finance -special features of affordable housing finance as compared to traditional mortgage financing. Ask for outline here.
- REITs and commercial real estate financing devices
- The course includes REITs, other collective investment devices for financing commercial real estate. Includes a full cashflow modelling exercise as well.
Do ask for outline of any
of these courses.
of some of our attendees
- An in-house client, a leading Australian bank: "Just a quick
message to say how pleased we were with the outcome of the three sessions
you gave. Given the vastly different audiences and levels of knowledge,
I think based on my personal observations and comments from participants
that you achieved a greatly increased understanding of the
- Uschi Phuah, Straits Lion, Singapore: "Presenter has very good
knowledge; very patient too."
- Kelvin Leong, Malaysia Rating Corporation: "A walking library!
- Tatsaya Imade, UFJ Institute, Japan: "Great person, education
- Teo Kok Liang, Mizuho Corporate Bank.: "Very knowledgeable and
has provided me a good foundation in securitisation know-how"
- Name suppressed, Bank of Finland, Helsinki: "Vinod definitely
knows his stuff!".
- Peter Van den Heever, Nedcor Investment Bank, South Africa: "Excellent
insight and knowledge of the subject and most insightful 2 day session".
- Anon: "Given his non-practitioner background, his knowledge on
ABS is outstanding, may even exceed that of practitioners"
- Francia T Manlapaz, SEC, Philippines: "He has mastery over the
- Letitia Chan, J P Morgan: "Vinod is very knowledgeable and professional
- Chan Peng Fun, ABN Amro: "Very knowledgeable. Able to convey
in simple way"
FAQs about our workshops
why-we question: There are any number of securitisation training
events being hosted. What is so special about yours?
Everyone is unique, and so are we. However, it is important to understand
the essential difference between single-speaker training events and the
typical industry forums which are organised by event producers. A typical
event producer will assemble various speakers from the industry, all of
whom are sponsored by their respective firms to talk about their firms
and the great deals they have done; none of them know more than their
job would require them to. At the end of the day, as a participant, you
would have heard a dozen speakers, with no cohesive theme. You will have
lots of bits and pieces in your mind but nothing comprehensive.
On the other hand, ours is a single faculty course which develops the
subject from a scratch and takes to a cohesive comprehensive finality.
Here are some of the C's to our Credit
- Comprehensive: All our courses are comprehensive: we cover every aspect
of the subject to give to the participant a thorough and all-pervasive
- Clear: Vinod Kothari is known for his clear communication. Even seemingly
complex issues like accounting for securitization are made clear enough
for everyone to understand.
- Case studies: We spend substantial time discussing recent case studies.
We have a substantial base of case studies covering recent innovative
- Contemporary: Vinod Kothari's website is an testimony to our constant
feel of the pulse of the market. So all our courses teach most updated
- Carry-away stuff: Our course materials are very comprehensive, often
running over 200 pages. Besides, if agreed, we can also supply copies
of Vinod Kothari's books.
- Competitive: Our pricing is fairly competitive compared to other international
courses plain theoretical teaching, or are there case studies, workings?
We do discuss live case studies. Practicals or exercises depends on the
nature of the course.
We have a comprehensive base of case studies specifically designed for
our courses. We select representative cases highlighting a new idea, new
application or a new structure. Most of our cases are fairly recent.
See here some of the sample cases we discuss
in our courses.
Do you call guest speakers as
well, apart from the core faculty?
This again, depends. In some courses we do call a guest speaker who we
think is better acquainted with the market dynamics of a particular region/subject.
Do I get a course material?
You get a very comprehensive hard copy of the presentation. The course
material is quite comprehensive and is updated with latest data and information.
In some courses, the participants are also given a free copy of Vinod
Kothari's book on securitisation.
in-house training: Will you be willing to organise a workshop in
my country, for me or for public participation?
We will be more than happy to do so. Actually, if you have 7-8 persons
to be trained, an in-house course is the best option. Apart from privacy
and tailoring, in-house courses stimulate group thinking and often we
have found brilliant ideas emerge during the discussions.
I is advisable to consult us about availability, travel schedules etc.
before moving any further. If you have any questions, please
do get back.
Who actually conducts the lectures?
Generally speaking, Vinod Kothari. But we
reserve our right to assign the job to any other properly qualified trainer.
What are the typical fees we charge?
For private courses, we will expect to charge approximately Euro 3000
per day of time spent. Time spent includes time in travelling. The minimum
fees for any workshop will be Euro 6000. This is apart from reimbursement
of actual expenses.
How many faculties/ trainers will be travelling?
How do we ensure audience satisfaction?
Our past performance does this. In the past, well over 75% of the participants
have consistently rated our courses are excellent.
What equipment do you require?
Usual presentation devices - a computer projector. Mostly we would bring
along our own laptop, but should it be required, you might have to arrange
What is the typical size of the audience?
Upto you - from 25 to 40. But we would suggest you should cap it to 40.
I have more questions.
Do get back at firstname.lastname@example.org
and mark a copy to email@example.com